The Administrative Services Department provides city-wide administrative services including financial reporting, budget, audit coordination, accounting, cash management, human resources, risk management, information technology and fleet & equipment.
The goals and objectives of the Administrative Services Department includes the following:
- Provide transparent and accountable financial services to the City by exercising sound financial leadership, planning and guidance; recommending, establishing and maintaining sound fiscal policies and practices
- Enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of City operations by providing varied professional expertise and guidance
- Deliver consistent, high quality service and support to internal and external customers
- Create an environment of mutual respect and partnership with City departments
The department is comprised of three divisions – Finance, Information Technology and Human Resources. The Assistant City Manager for Administrative Services serves as the City’s Finance Director.
The Finance Division provides accurate financial information from which educated judgments can be made on the financial health of the City and decisions can be made by City leadership regarding City operations. The division’s responsibilities include the following: accounts payable; accounts receivable; payroll; cash and investment management; financial forecasting; budget preparation; internal control monitoring; audit; financial reporting which includes quarterly, year-end and the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR); non-departmental/centralized services; fleet and equipment administration; and general accounting such as capital projects, capital assets, and grants.
The goals and objectives of the Finance Division include the following:
- Provide timely, accurate, user-friendly and transparent financial information and services
- Ensure compliance with purchasing laws and regulations
- Ensure proper internal control in city operations to safeguard city resources
- Maintain reliability and integrity of the City’s financial data and processes
- Stay abreast of new developments in accounting and finance
The Information Technology Division provides information technology support for the City’s computer network, including the operation, maintenance and repair of network hardware and client workstations. The division’s responsibilities include the following: day-to-day network center operations; technical services that support and enhance the City’s information systems and covers all data, hardware and software which includes applications, operating systems, special systems, networks, employee training, and equipment acquisition; communications services including technical services, support maintenance and enhancements to the City’s telephone system, cellular and other mobile devices, and building wire cable, wireless and other communications-related needs; and internet and intranet web services including developing and maintaining the City’s web, FTS (File Transfer Protocol) and VPN (Virtual Private Network) services, providing user training, monitoring system security, and developing interfaces. The division also provides geographical information services (GIS) which includes developing and maintaining the City’s spatial database, producing maps, analyzing data, generating reports, providing user training, and developing user-friendly internal and external interfaces to the City’s GIS.
The goals and objectives of the Information Technology Division include the following:
- Support City goals and department objectives through automation
- Provide excellent customer service, employee service and user training
- Understand user departments’ business process and needs
- Streamline City operations through integration and systems automation
- Keep informed of technology trends, enhancements and capabilities
- Seek new technology and apply where it is cost effective
- Provide stable and reliabe information technology infrastructure
- Provide up-to-date hardware and software tools
- Improve access to City services and information through the web and other online systems
The Human Resources Division provides assistance and guidance in the areas of employee relations, benefits, compensation, equal opportunity and employment programs, health and safety efforts, training and development, labor relations and risk management. The division’s responsibilities include the following: administering all benefits; administering job classification and compensation plans, assisting departments in the areas of recruitment, selection, placement, training, performance, and employee separation; ensuring compliance with State and Federal employment-related laws and regulations; maintaining centralized personnel records; administering the employee safety program, including workers’ compensation; leading negotiations in collective bargaining with employee labor groups and administering labor contracts; general services which includes managing employee training and development programs, administering the City’s compensation classification, employee benefits program, and overseeing equal opportunity programs; collective bargaining; risk management which includes insurance coverage, claims, employee safety program, and workers compensation program.
The goals and objectives of the Human Resources Division include the following:
- Enhance employee access to services
- Increase employee awareness of risk management best practices, policies, procedures and resources
- Train employees in multiple areas of Accident Prevention Plan
- Coordinate mandated safety training in a timely manner (such as heariung testing, respirator training, proper lifting techniques and defensive driving)
- Increase outreach efforts to increase applicant pool to include qualified minority applicants
- Audit processes to create improved efficiencies
- Enhance Volunteer Program
- Conduct supervisory training, focused on mid-level management skills
- Create a program to connect to transitioning soldiers at Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM)
- Lead and support employee wellness program and earn Well City Award to reduce health care premiums
- Implement healthcare plans with consideration of the Affordable Healthcare Act