The City of Lakewood’s 20th Anniversary Letter-Writing Competition for Young People is targeted at young students and encourages participants to express their creativity and language skills about the future of their community.
The competition is for young students in Grades 6 through 12, living in Lakewood and/or attending Lakewood schools.
The theme of the letter writing competition is “Celebrating Our Dynamic Future”. It symbolizes the City of Lakewood’s Vision Statement
adopted by the Lakewood City Council on October 19, 2015:
CITY OF LAKEWOOD VISION STATEMENT
Our VISION for Lakewood is a thriving, urban, South Puget Sound City, possessing the core values of family, community, education,
and economic prosperity. We will advance these values by recognizing our past, taking action in the present, and pursuing a dynamic
The City Council’s VISION for Lakewood at its 30 Year Anniversary is a community:
– Inspired by its own sense of history and progress;
– Known for its safe and attractive neighborhoods, vibrant downtown, active arts and cultural communities;
– Sustained by robust economic growth and job creation;
– Recognized for the excellence of its public and private schools, and its community and technical colleges;
– Characterized by the beauty of its lakes, parks and natural environment;
– Acknowledged for excellence in the delivery of municipal services;
– Leveraging and embracing of our diversity; and,
– Supportive of Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM), Camp Murray, service members and their families.
Presentation and content of entries:
Each entry must be accompanied by:
1) A completed entry application
2) The original letter answering 1 of 5 of questions selected accompanied with a drawing or photograph illustrating your response. The letter format including the drawing or photograph shall be no more than two 8 ½ x 11 pages typed or handwritten in English.
3) Entries must be completed on-line at www.cityoflakewood.us; or email at email@example.com, or mailed to Alice Bush, City of Lakewood, 6000 Main St. SW, Lakewood, WA 98499, and received by Monday, May 9, 2016.
Selection of the Winners
Entries will be judged by a jury panel.
The following criteria will be used to judge the eligibility and quality of the letters:
– Completed entry application
– Followed format instructions
– Adherence to the theme
– Use of language
The judges will select the best 3 winners and may also award special merits to other compositions.
Prizes and Recognition:
– The top winners will receive a special medal (gold for first prize, silver for second and bronze for third) and a certificate, as well as other prizes to commemorate their win.
– Prizes may include a technology prize and/or gift certificates.
– Selected entries published in a book of “Future Leaders of Lakewood”
– Top winning letters will be featured in the City Connections Magazine that is circulated to every household and business in Lakewood.
Top winning letters will be posted on the City of Lakewood facebook and social media.
– Top winners will have pizza with the Mayor, Deputy Mayor and City Councilmembers prior to a City Council meeting.
– Top winners will be recognized at a Lakewood City Council meeting.
City of Lakewood, Clover Park Technical College Foundation and others are underway.
Participants accept all responsibility for late, lost, misdirected or ineligible entries. Entries cannot be acknowledged or returned. They become the property of the City of Lakewood upon receipt. By entering your creation into the competition, entrants and their parents/guardians agree to these official rules and regulations and the decisions of the judges and release contest sponsors of all liability that could result from participating in the contest. By submitting an entry into this contest, entrants and their parents/guardians grant permission for sponsors and
media coverage to use any copies, photographs and/or video of the entrant’s submitted creations for any promotional use. Entrants and their parents/guardians agree that entry application information may be added to sponsors contact lists.